February 15, 2014

Episode Two: The Honeybee House





“Hey, Dana, wake up! We just passed the town line!”

I groaned as Kara shook me by the shoulder. I hadn’t really been asleep; just dozing and running through the fifty-five reasons I had tallied so far about why this year was going to be the worst year of my life. Not that repeating any of them out loud would convince Kara or my dad of the fact. They’d both been ridiculously optimistic about my attending WCH instead of going to Salem where they had to know I really belonged. I got into all of my other safety schools, of course, and usually with a full scholarship as a boon for my excellent grades and extracurricular activities. I guess it didn’t hurt that I’d already mastered a few of the Thirteen Powers under my mom’s tutelage. My name attached to hers probably didn’t hurt either. Everywhere except her school.

I shook my head. Before we left home, I had determined to put the endless cycle of wondering why I had been rejected from Salem behind me. What was done was done, after all, and I couldn’t do anything about it until spring semester at the earliest.

“Look! Oh, isn’t it cute?” Kara squealed.

I finally looked out the window and saw the town where I’d be spending the next couple months. Holyoak was much smaller than my own home town. I’d done my research; the entire population was only five times bigger than that of my public high school. I was used to living in a place where I could disappear into a crowd. But this two lane main street lined with elms and mom and pop businesses didn’t look like it could generate its own government, let alone a crowd.

Not that the school would be much better. There would only be 30 girls in my entire graduating class! I’d always liked small classes, but that was kind of insane.

Before Kara could breathe more than a few oohs and aahs, we’d reached the end of the shops and turned onto another street, this one lined with trees and houses.

“Guess there probably won’t be much of a nightlife here, huh?” Kara said. My dad chuckled from the front seat.

“Holyoak might be small, but you’ve never been much for distractions from your academics anyway, right, Dana?” he said.

There was that stupid optimism again. I forced myself to smile and nod.

Right. My life was over.

The houses we were passing spaced out. And then there were farms with actual cows and horses. I looked up and saw more sky than I was generally comfortable with.

“Hey, that must be it,” my dad said suddenly as we came around a bend in the road. Up ahead we could see a hill rising above the town. It was crowned with a circle of large brick buildings and more trees. Trees everywhere, I thought bitterly. My allergies are gonna go berserk.

The farms vanished quite suddenly behind a wall of trees. They lined the road, looming and bowing together in a long and unbroken tunnel of green and brown. The hill disappeared from view. Kara pressed her nose to the window in an effort to peer between the tree trunks flashing by.

“I can’t see anything,” she complained.

“Duh,” I said, leaning back in my seat. “Just because the college is here, doesn’t mean it was always welcome. I read in the brochure that they started growing these trees in 1909 after there was a string of local disappearances.”

Kara’s eyes grew round.

“It’s not what you think,” I said. Black and white photos of my Victorian predecessors flickered through my head. “It was students who were disappearing. Being shot by the yokels who saw them flying or conjuring things out of midair. Convinced that the devil was among them. After that, the school put in the trees and they put up an iron fence too and started spreading rumors around town about being an insane asylum for girls. Now no one can just see in, and more importantly no one can just walk in.”

“But everyone knows about witches now,” Kara said. She looked frustrated, and I didn’t blame her. I still struggled with wishing we were more accepted too. That’s why my mom worked so hard as an advocate.

“Yeah, but it takes time to change opinions,” I said.

I could have said more on the topic – it was dear to my heart – but just then my dad turned the car into a gap in the trees marked with a white street sign.

Witches College of Holyoak à it read in straight black letters. I was sure I would have missed it if I hadn’t been looking for it.

We drove for about a quarter of a mile until we met a towering wrought-iron gate stretched across the road in front of us. I glanced at Kara whose eyes were rounder than ever.

“Oh wow,” she said. “Wow! Look at it! It’s so… so…” She couldn’t seem to figure out what it was, but I had a few descriptors of my own.

“Old?” I said. “Decadent? Arrogant?”

My dad snorted.

“No way!” Kara said. “It’s beautiful. Look at it! Oh man, I want to go to school here…”

I shook my head. Unlike the Salem Institute which had been fully renovated into a modern campus with beautifully sleek buildings and paved squares, Holyoak looked pretty much the same as it had in photos from when it was built in 1905. The gate was a iron monstrosity of carved flowers and vines twining around the date the school had been founded. Beyond it was a cobblestone avenue winding its way up the hill. Victorian houses painted in garish colors crowded close together on either side of the road. From down here at the bottom of the hill, we could only see the tops of the academic buildings, but I had seen them in pictures and I knew they were all colonial revival in design, big brick squares with lots of rectangular windows and pointless columns and porticos.

None of it was my style at all. Everything looked like it was trying too hard. As the gates opened, and my dad drove forward, I hoped fervently that I wouldn’t end up living in one of the houses sporting bright pink and purple trim.

A woman wearing a tweed skirt and matching jacket stood next to the road just inside the gate. She motioned for my dad to roll his window down.

“Name of your student?” she said in a pleasant voice.

“Dana Bolete.”

My dad had barely finished saying my name when the woman’s whole face lit up. I groaned; I should’ve guessed that my name was going to garner me some unwanted attention. Especially from someone who looked like she was in my mother’s age bracket.

“Oh yes!” the woman exclaimed. She leaned forward to see me cowering in the backseat. I offered her as tepid a smile as I could manage. “We’ve heard such wonderful things,” she chattered, beaming away. “So pleased you’re here.”

I considered asking my dad to turn around right there, but by then my new admirer was already directing him to the top of the hill.

“All of our Neophytes live in the houses closest to the faculty,” she told him even though her eyes were still trained on me. I could feel an extreme heat in my cheeks, and Kara hiding a grin behind her upraised hands wasn’t helping. I poked her in the ribs. She collapsed into giggles at my side, and the woman raised her eyebrows at us. Some of the shine left her eyes.

“Yes, so, just up the hill there,” she said in a bit of a flustered tone. My dad nodded, and I could see his eyes dancing in the rearview mirror as he rolled his window up.

We made our way up the hill slowly. The street was wide enough for four lanes of cars, but my dad was indulging Kara in her wild pointing and marveling over the architecture. Both sides of the street were lined with three story Victorian houses spaced moderately far apart from each other. We saw glimpses of their fenced in backyards, full of flowers and bushes and I thought I even saw a fountain or two. My heart started to thump a little painfully in my chest. Was I going to college or finishing school? All of this old-fashionedness made me feel like the school gate had been a portal to the past.

The houses didn’t diminish the slightest in their ornate design as we left the older girl’s housing behind and came upon those for the first year students. The only reason I could tell the difference was the cars parked out front of these, unloading girls who looked to be my age with their families and piles and piles of suitcases. I felt a bit boggled by some of the trunks being pushed out of backseats. What was in there? Clothing? Who needed so many clothes?

Another woman, this one much younger than Tweedy, stood in the middle of the street directing traffic. She pointed my father to an empty spot, and he pulled up to the curb and turned the engine off.

He turned in his seat to face me, and smiled. “Well, my little princess,” he said. “This is it.”

“Please don’t call me that,” I said, scrunching my nose at him.

He laughed. “You’ll miss it soon enough,” he replied sagely. I couldn’t say anything because I knew it was probably true. I hadn’t been away from him for more than two or three days at a time in my entire life. He worked from home, so I was used to him always being there for me. Everything about my daily life was about to get very strange…

I unhooked my seatbelt and patted my dad on the shoulder.

“I’ll miss you,” I said with a smile. He rested his hand on top of mine for a moment, and I swore there were tears in the corners of his eyes.

I opened my mouth to say something else – but whether I was going to plead for him not to leave me or simply reassure him that I would be all right, I never found out. The young woman directing traffic had come over and was rapping violently on the back windshield. I threw my door open and got out, worried we’d done something wrong.

“Are we in the wrong spot?” I asked. “We can move, it’s not--”

“Oh no no no!” the woman cried. Her hands were fluttering in front of her chest like a startled bird’s wings and she was staring intently at my face. “Yes, I see what Anna meant. You do look just like your mother.” She thrust one of those fluttering hands in my face. “Hello! My name is Natalie. It’s so nice to meet you, you know. I’m going to be one of your professors!”

Um… I shook her hand as gingerly as I could manage without seeming rude. “Nice to meet you too?” I offered.

She giggled, for the life of me, in just the same way Kara had when I poked her. “It’s like having a celebrity on campus,” she went on. “We’ve all heard so much about how wonderful you are already. In fact, we were quite shocked when you decided to come here. Thought for sure you’d be attending Salem like your mother. She is wonderful, isn’t she? She came to speak here once. I remember it like it was yesterday. Well, it was almost yesterday, you know. It was just at the end of last term during the unrest after the President’s speech on TV. You remember that, right?”

She probably would have kept on, but my dad came around the car and interrupted by introducing himself. I took a moment to step back and take a breath. Natalie’s babbling made me feel winded. Not to mention, I didn’t really want to address the fact that everyone else assumed I’d be going to Salem too.

“So, where should we set up Dana’s stuff?” my dad asked.

Kara thumped one of my suitcases down on the curb to punctuate the question. She looked up at Natalie with an angelic smile. Natalie beamed back at her.

“Ooh, and you must be the younger sister!” she cooed. I am not even joking. She cooed just like a proud mother bird. “We can’t wait for you to come of age too, sweetness,” she said. “We hope you’ll consider WCH like Dana!”

I paused. She pronounced the school’s acronym just like the word ‘witch’. Really? I thought. Is this honestly a real place?

Kara was now babbling right along with Natalie, my future professor. I stepped carefully around both of them, and started unloading the trunk next to my dad.  

“I don’t know if I can do this,” I whispered to him.

“Oh honey,” he whispered back. “You just need to settle in. Everyone is a little bit nervous on their first day.”

I wanted to explain that this wasn’t simply first day jitters, but Natalie had finally decided to be useful.

“For the first couple of days of term, it’s just you Neophytes here on campus,” she explained. “We don’t want you to feel overwhelmed while you get adjusted to college life, so the older girls don’t get here until you’ve already started your classes and had some time to explore the college on your own.”

“Fun!” Kara said. I glared at her. If it was her, she’d already be plotting how best to take advantage of the time without the upper classman by, I don’t know, organizing her roommates into toilet papering their houses or something.

“Yes, it is!” Natalie said with evident pride. “We have lots of events for you all to get to know each other and develop a sense of class spirit.” She patted my arm. “You’re really going to love it here. There’s such a great feeling of community on campus.”

“And off?” I asked before I could stop myself. But hey, I saw the gates. I wanted to know the truth that wasn’t in the brochures.

To her credit, Natalie didn’t look the least bit flustered. “Oh, it’s like just about anywhere else, I suppose,” she said. “Well, not like Salem because they’ve always been used to witches in their midst. But Holyoak is a nice little town with lots of nice people. You’ll see! We do have an event or two downtown for you girls. Now, let’s see…” She whipped up a clipboard I hadn’t even realized she had and started scanning down a list. “You’ve been assigned to the Honeybee House,” she said. Her eyes started twinkling. “I love that house. It’s my favorite one up here because it’s so sunny looking. You’ll see. Come with me!”

She grabbed one of my suitcases, and started off down the street. I glanced at Kara and my dad, but they were already following with luggage of their own, so I grabbed my one remaining bag and locked the car. Natalie led us a few houses down the hill and stopped in front of one that was painted dandelion yellow. The porch and shutters were bright white and they sported cut outs in the shape of – you guessed it – honeybees. It was kind of cute, I supposed, but not what I would  have chosen. The house directly across the street had a copper sign plate out front that read Spider House in beautiful Latin lettering. It was painted a much more sensible silvery grey. I wondered idly if I could ask for a transfer.

“Here we go,” Natalie said, lugging my suitcase up the front steps. “Looks like you’re the first one here.” She checked her list again. “You’ve got four housemates coming, and the Caster assigned as your Head Witch In Charge is Poppy Landry. She should be here, though she is a bit of a social butterfly…” She peered out at the street, scanning the milling crowd. “Ah, there she is. Poppy! Over here, love!”

I turned to see a girl with wildly curly brown hair come sprinting up the walkway toward us. She definitely didn’t look the type to be able to sprint; she was short and chubby, and she wore a pair of thick, round glasses that looked like they came straight out of the 80s. Nonetheless, she sprinted like Secretariat and leapt up the front steps of Honeybee House to stand panting in my presence.

“Hi!” she said with so much enthusiasm that I actually took a step backward. Now that she was in front of me, I could truly appreciate how short she was. I knew I was taller than average, but this girl was nearly a foot shorter than me.

“Hello,” I replied. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Poppy Landry,” she said. “Nice to meet you too! Welcome to WCH. Let me guess… Dana, right?”

I nodded.

“I’m so excited you’re in my house. The other Head Witches are just green with jealousy.”

Natalie smiled at us and tapped her clipboard. “Well, I’ll let Miss Landry take it from her. See you in class, Dana.”

“Um, see you,” I said as she trotted off to greet the next car that had driven up the hill.

Poppy opened the front door (a glaring scarlet with more stenciled honeybees) and ushered us all inside.

“Just leave your things here in the front parlor for now,” she said. ‘Once the other girls have arrived we can all choose our bedrooms and unpack.”

I stepped over the threshold and looked around. It was just as sunny and overly decorated inside as out. Colored light from stained glass windows streamed in to spill over green velvet couches and chairs set with embroidered cushions. There were half a dozen little tables covered in doilies and cut glass bowls full of dried lavender and sage. And the luster of the pinewood floors beneath our feet was being muffled by Persian carpets in every color of the rainbow.

I looked at Poppy who looked back at me with such a quiet smile that I knew she knew exactly what I was thinking.

Kara brushed past me.

“Oh, look at it, it’s all so cute! Like a doll’s house!” she gushed.

I looked at my dad, but he just shrugged.

“Don’t worry,” Poppy told me. “This is just the default set up. Been this way forever, I think. But you girls will be allowed to put your own stamp on the place.” She glanced at Kara who was bouncing around the room and looking under every chair as though expecting to find hidden treasure. “And now I’m sorry to cut the party short, but it’s time for your family to say goodbye.”

“Of course,” my dad said cheerfully. ‘We don’t want to get in the way.”

“But you aren’t in the way,” I protested, feeling like I’d rather go home and rot than spend one more second in this mothballed massacre of a room. “Can’t they stay a little longer?”

Poppy shook her head. “Your housemates will be here soon and the schedule of events for the day starts in only forty-five minutes. You should really take what time you have to say goodbye now.” And she smiled again and did her best to fade into the background by looking out the window and ignoring us.

My dad enveloped me in a hug. I clung to him. “Relax, Princess,” he whispered. “You’re going to do great things here. And you’ll make plenty of friends too.”

“But--” I said.

“Besides,” he went on, pulling away and looking me in the eye. “The holidays will be here before you know it. We’ll all see you at Samhain, right?”

“Right,” I said in a faint voice. I was worried that the tears threatening to spill from my eyes were actually visible.

“Have fun, sis!” Kara cried, hugging me briefly before bouncing away again. My dad managed to catch her hand before she could get too far and, shaking his head, they moved toward the door.

“Love you,” my dad said over his shoulder as they left.

“Love you too!” I called back a belated moment after they were already through the doorway. I sank down on one of the green couches and stared at my pile of suitcases.

“So have you really mastered flying already?” Poppy asked almost immediately. She dropped down on the couch next to me.

I was saved from having to answer by a huge crash on the porch.

“Careful!” a voice cried. “That’s genuine Louis Vuitton!”

Great, I thought as I got up with Poppy to investigate the situation. She sounds exactly like the kind of girl I want to be friends with…

No comments:

Post a Comment