February 1, 2014

Episode One: Admissions



Sunset at the Bolete residence.


Dear Dana Bolete,

Thank you for applying to the Salem Institute for Witches. Upon completion of the difficult task of selecting this year’s group of students for admittance to SIW, our Admissions Committee has concluded that we are unable to offer you acceptance to the institute.

My heart stopped. It stopped as though a sledgehammer had smashed into my chest, destroying my life in an instant. But when the agony of it kept going, I realized my heartbeat was still chugging along, if somewhat erratically. I shook my head in an effort to refocus my blurred vision and looked at the letter again.

We deeply appreciate your interest in the Salem Institute. Please consider applying again as a transfer student in the spring. Thank you, and we wish you success and happiness in all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
Antonia Rivers
Dean of Admissions

I stared at the words until they blurred again. But it was just that my hands were shaking. I set the letter down on my desk and clenched my fingers to form fists. Anything to bring reality back.
            
 …we are unable to offer you acceptance…
             
Impossible. My mother was friends with Antonia Rivers; they’d gone to the Institute together! How could they reject me? My grades were perfect. I know I aced their entrance exam. I studied harder than any other witch I knew, and while that wasn’t a lot of girls, it was certainly enough for me to feel like I had an upper hand against any of them. And I knew for a fact Opal had already been accepted.

“What’s that?”
           
Oh no! Kara! I grabbed the letter and stuffed it in my desk drawer as quick as thought. I stood up and turned around with my back to the desk.
            
 “Nothing. Just a charm I’ve been trying to memorize,” I made up, trying not to let the pain of the rejection show on my face.
             
Kara might have been younger than me, but she wasn’t stupid. She arched a brow at me.
             
“Uh huh. Well, it’s time for dinner. And this came for you.” She held up a large white envelope. “At least some school finally got back to you,” she said as I took it from her.
             
I got a paper cut trying to open the damn thing because my hands were still shaking. Kara bounced up and down with impatience while she watched me struggle to remove the packet of papers it held. When the first page fluttered to the ground, I cursed, but Kara bent to snatch it.
             
“Dear Dana Bolete,” she read aloud in a too-perky voice. “Congratulations, it is with great pleasure that I write to offer you admission to the Witches College of Holyoak… blah blah blah, Imogene Ivy, Dean of Admissions. Hey, I guess it’s nice your safety school wants you, right?”
           
“Yeah,” I said. The rest of the papers in my hand were all pamphlets on housing and classes and how to get matched up with a roommate. I dropped them on my desk. “Really nice,” I repeated.
             
Kara rolled her eyes and tossed the admission letter at me. “Not to worry, Brainiac. I’m sure the Institute is just putting the finishing touches on your welcome basket.”
            
I nodded, too numb to speak, and followed her out to the dining room. My father was just setting the last of the salad plates out as we sat down, but my mother was nowhere to be seen. For a moment, the weight on my heart lessened. If I could just have one evening free of my mom, I was sure I could figure out some way to contact Antonia and ask her what had happened. There was no way I wasn’t going to Salem. No way. My mother never had to know they’d sent me that letter.
            
But after my dad brought out a huge tureen of gazpacho, he sat down and said, “Let’s just wait. Your mom should be home any minute now.”
             
I thought it was impossible to feel more panic than I’d felt the moment my eyes saw the word “unable” on my letter from the Institute. But when the sound of my mother’s boots hitting her landing platform on the roof echoed through the house, I realized I was wrong. The urge to run away as fast as I could seemed a bit silly considering my mother had the power of flight, so instead I slumped down in my seat and prayed very hard for the gods to open a rift in the earth below me and swallow me whole.
             
Please, please… I prayed. I’ll do anything if you just make it so she doesn’t have know.
            
The front door opened. I watched my dad serve the gazpacho and my sister chatter at him about her day as though the events were transpiring in slow motion. Every one of my mother’s footsteps sounded like a gong knelling my execution. When she finally entered the dining room, I couldn’t even look at her. I started eating my salad as fast as humanly possible.
            
“Dana, please.” My mother’s voice broke through my panicked haze. “You’re a girl, not an animal.”
             
I slowed down, but still couldn’t look at her. She settled herself in the chair at the head of the table, and joined in the conversation the others were having. I concentrated on eating my gazpacho without slurping.
            
“And Dana, how was your day?”
             
When I glanced up, I could see that my dad had asked because he was genuinely concerned about me. Acting the way I was, I guess I couldn’t be surprised. Usually it was all I could do not to recount every single thing I had learned that day at dinner time. It wasn’t like my dad knew my life was about to be over. I cursed inwardly. Leave it to his sincerity and caring to wreck my chances to escape unscathed for the night.
             
“Uh, it was okay,” I said. I dragged my spoon through the remains of my soup and tried not to look at my mom.
             
“Just okay?” he pried.
            
“Stop being so modest, big sis,” Kara piped up. She turned to our mother with a grin. “She got accepted to Holyoak.”
             
“That’s wonderful!” my dad said, and he sounded like he meant it. I stifled a groan. He was only making things worse.
             
“Indeed,” my mom said. I heard her set her spoon down and immediately started telling myself not to hyperventilate. “Did you hear from any other schools today, Dana?”
             
“Um,” I said, and took a drink of water to cover up from saying any more.
            
 “Antonia said the Admissions Office at Salem mailed out all their letters three days ago,” my mom said. “Did you double check the mailbox this afternoon?”
             
I choked on the water I was drinking. Kara slapped me on the back.
             
“I checked it when I got home, Mom,” she said, and for a moment I thanked her silently for saving me. Until she added, “But maybe you should check her desk cause she got home before me.”
             
I shot a glare at her but all she did was smirk at me. For this morning, she mouthed at me. Ugh. It wasn’t my fault she had stayed out half the night. I wasn’t going to cover for her every time.
             
“Oh? Did you hear from the Institute, sweetheart?”
            
If my dad wasn’t so nice, I would’ve shot a glare at him too. But he was, and he didn’t know, and I couldn’t.
             
“Well,” I said. “I mean… Kind of…” I looked at my mom for the first time. I was told often by her peers that Audrey Bolete was considered quite a beautiful witch. She was tall and graceful and always perfectly made up. But when I looked at her, I saw the black swan from Tchaikovsky’s ballet. Maybe she was beautiful, but her black gaze could chill me to the core.
             
“I’ll get it!” Kara trilled. Before I could stop her, she had dashed out of the room.
             
Oh gods, please! I prayed fervently. There was nothing I could about it now. Kara came back in with the letter and handed it over to my mother. From the look on her face, she hadn’t read it. She must have thought I was being falsely modest or something… I couldn’t believe she’d sell me out like this if she knew.
             
My mom unfolded the letter and read it slowly. I watched her eyes move over the words more than once and wondered if she’d felt her heart stop too. As it was, all of my existence was concentrated on remembering to breathe.
            
 “This must be a mistake,” she said finally. My heart leapt up into my throat. She thought so too? Maybe this wouldn’t be as bad as I thought. “Antonia told me…” But then she shook her head and seemed to be thinking. Oh gods, what had Antonia told her!?
             
Obviously whatever the words the Dean had used, they weren’t ones that absolutely indicated my acceptance. My mother stood up and crumpled the rejection letter in her fist.
            
“Dana,” she said, and I cowered. I had never heard her speak my name in such a cold, flat tone before. The thought that I had betrayed her came swiftly and horribly to my mind. I had single-handedly destroyed her national reputation by failing to be accepted to her Alma mater. I had failed myself, of course, but it was far worse that I had failed her – and my family. I bowed my head.
             
My mother dropped the balled up letter on the table and walked out of the room without another word. I slumped down in my chair. I heard my dad’s chair scrape across the floor and felt the weight of his hand on my shoulder for a moment before he hurried after my mother.
            
Kara was smoothing the letter open on the table. As she read it, her eyes widened. She looked at me with horror.
             
“You didn’t get in?” she whispered. “Dana…” And as she realized what she had done, she flew across the room to hug me. “I’m sorry! I never would have given it to her if I’d known. I thought, I thought…”
            
She was crying. I pushed her away and stood up. She stared me, hiccuping and still trying to apologize. I shook my head, but I couldn’t seem to form the words I wanted to say to her. It really wasn’t her fault after all.
            
I choked back a sob, and rushed out of the room before my tears could burst forth. 

-----

Episode 2: The Honeybee House -->

Season 1 - Full Episode Listing 

No comments:

Post a Comment