March 15, 2014

Episode Six: Where There's Smoke





I opened my desk drawer to search for a bar of wax to seal the letter I had just finished.

“Anyone home?”

“Oh hey, Angelica,” I said, looking up to find one of my new friends standing in the doorway. “How’s it going?”

She came in and threw herself across the end of my bed. “I can’t believe we’ve been here for a week already,” she said, rolling over to stare up at the ceiling. “Weird, isn’t it?”

“Very weird,” I agreed. “Want to see something cool?”

She bounced off the bed to come watch what I was doing. I held the stick of wax out over the envelope and rubbed the tips of my fingers together over it. “Heat,” I murmured, and was rewarded when a gentle glow emanated from between my fingers. The wax immediately started dripping. Once a small pool of it formed on the envelope I separated my fingers, and the heat source disappeared. I grabbed the triskelion seal my mother had given me and pressed it into the wax before it could cool.

“Sweet.” Angelica grinned. “Is that difficult?”

“Not at all,” I said. “You just have to be careful not to burn yourself. Want to try?”


“Yeah! What do I do?”

I got out a fresh sheet of paper and handed her the wax. “Mostly you just have to concentrate,” I said. “You rub your fingers together like you’re striking a match and think about heat. Just don’t think about fire, or you might actually produce some.” I chuckled, thinking about the first time Kara had tried this trick about a year ago.

“What are you guys doing?” Nicola leaned around the doorframe, her eyes large.

“Magic,” I said with a smile. “Come on in.”

Heat,” Angelica said, and immediately yelped as the paper caught fire. “Ah! No heat! Uh, cool!”

I shook my head and passed my hand calmly over the disaster. I breathed in as I did so, and my ears popped as the air feeding the fire rushed away from it. The flame dwindled until all that was left was the blackened sheet of paper. And a nice singe mark on my desk.

“Oops,” Angelica said. But her dark eyes danced. “Guess Nicola distracted me.” She glanced at the subject in question.

“I’m sorry!” she said, raising her poetry notebook over her face. “I didn’t mean to mess you up.”

I sighed. “She’s just baiting you. Don’t worry about it.” Angelica raised an eyebrow at me, but I gave her an innocent shrug. I was right, wasn’t I?

“Did you hurt yourself?” Nicola said.

“I’m fine.” Angelica waved her off when the other girl tried to look at her hands.

I tried to think of a good spell for erasing the burn marring my desk, but nothing came to mind. “You just need to practice Listening some more,” I said. “Once you’ve got that down, casting spells is much easier.”

Angelica pulled a face at me. “It’s not like I totally failed,” she said.

“You almost burned Dana’s room down,” Nicola pointed out.

“Nah,” I said. “I doubt any of us has enough power for that yet.”

“And if I did, I’d use it on a certain other house mate’s room,” Angelica said with a smirk.

I felt a pang of guilt for laughing, but not much of one. September had been giving all of us the cold shoulder ever since our first day of classes. And she’d also been throwing glares around like spears meant to kill. I probably would’ve felt more guilty about Angelica’s quip if isn’t wasn’t for the fact that Miss Fashionista’s glares were all too often aimed at me more than anyone else. As if I had personally victimized her. But when she even rejected Echo’s efforts at friendship I stopped feeling sorry for her. She could pout in her corner for as long as she wanted.

“Hey… do you smell something burning?” Nicola said suddenly.

Angelica laughed. “What? Are you serious? I just – ”

“Not that,” I interrupted. Nicola was right. Something strangely acrid filled the air. I was about to expand my senses a bit further when the floor jumped beneath my feet. I staggered. Nicola fell over backwards with a shriek. The framed pictures of my family crashed off the mantelpiece onto the floor. And Angelica treated us to a few curse words I’d only ever seen in print.

The tremor came to an end as suddenly as it had started. The three of us waited in frozen silence for something else to happen. When nothing followed, I let out the breath we’d all obviously been holding.

“What was that?” Nicola asked as Angelica helped her to her feet. She grabbed her notebook and leafed through it as though checking to make sure it was intact. I looked at my fractured picture frames mournfully.

“Not sure,” I said. “We should probably go downstairs and make sure everyone else is okay though.”

“Maybe it was an earthquake,” Angelica said as we made our way down the stairs. A few paintings had been knocked askew and the chandelier in the hallway was dangling precariously atilt. We skirted around its potential crash zone and almost collided with Echo on the second floor landing.

“Hey, are you all right?” I said, catching her by the shoulders. Her hair looked a bit like she’d stuck her finger in an electric socket and there was a black smudge across one of her cheeks.

“Huh?” She blinked at me for a moment. “What’d you say?”

“Jeez, what happened in there?” Angelica said. I turned to find her pointing at Poppy’s room. Or rather, what was left of Poppy’s mangled door and the now billowing clouds of smoke issuing from the depths of Poppy’s room. My eyes widened.

“Echo…” I said slowly. “What happened?”

She shook her head and pointed at one of her ears. “I can’t understand you,” she said a little too loudly.

Angelica glanced between me and Nicola. “One of you should probably go see if Little Miss Stuck Up is okay. I’m going in there.” And before we could protest, she plunged into the smoking room of our Head Witch in Charge.

“Great,” I muttered. “My first week of school and already things are blowing up. Literally.”

Nicola touched my shoulder. “Angelica might need your help,” she said. “Echo and I will find September and get one of the Deans.”

I nodded, a little grateful not to be responsible for September. I had a feeling that most of campus had probably heard whatever had happened too, so help was probably already on the way. Even so… I held my sleeve over my mouth as I walked into the smoke after Angelica.

Once inside, the source of the smoke became evident. Poppy lay groaning on the floor next to a large cauldron gushing steam. Angelica was trying to open a window and speaking in rapid-fire Spanish. She was probably cursing some more, but I didn’t know much Spanish and didn’t want to assume.

I glanced around the room. Most of Poppy’s belongings looked like they’d been forcibly thrown away from the cauldron by the same force that had shaken the house. I rifled through the wreckage of her bed and found an intact blanket. Hoping I wasn’t making a mistake, I tossed it over the cauldron and concentrated as hard as I could on what clean air smelled like.

I felt a swooping sensation in my stomach and then a wave of dizziness came over me so hard I was sitting down before I realized it. The cauldron made a sputtering noise. The blanket over it puffed up like a bullfrog’s throat, and then it slowly deflated with a dying hiss of steam. My dizziness disappeared with it.

“You okay?”

I heard clear admiration in Angelica’s voice as she offered me a hand up, but I was still trying to make sense of what I’d just done. Once I was steady on my feet, I realized how dangerous that spell had been. I could have pulled the smoke into my lungs or even caused a real explosion…

“I’m… fine,” I said. I glanced down at the sooty blanket covering the cauldron. “Can you make sure the fire underneath is out?”

“It’s out,” Poppy said in a raw voice that sounded like she had inhaled a good deal of the smoke. She sat up, rubbing her forehead with a dirty hand.

“Um, can we ask what happened?” I said.

“You can ask,” Poppy replied. She coughed spasmodically, and didn’t look at us. She still seemed to be trying to get her bearings. “Spell went wrong. Not much more to say about it.” She picked up an empty vial near her feet. “Maybe the milk I added was sour.”

Angelica and I looked at each other. This girl was supposed to be in charge of us?

“Or maybe it was the words? No, I’m sure I said it perfectly…” She trailed off in a fit of more coughing.

We helped her downstairs to the kitchen, but I wasn’t sure if she was even aware of her surroundings. She kept muttering to herself and then coughing and trying to mutter through her coughing. Luckily, Dean Dobronravov and a trio of women I vaguely remembered from orientation as being the campus counselors showed up. They diagnosed Poppy with shock and a possible concussion and had her bundled onto a stretcher before I could blink. Dean Dobronravov assured us that she’d be fine, but she might be in the campus hospital for a few days for observation. She then had us recount as much of what had happened in the last twenty minutes as we could. By the time we got to the part where I stopped Poppy’s magic, our other house mates had filed into the kitchen to listen too.

“That’s very interesting, Dana,” the dean said. She gave me an uncomfortably appraising look and I had to stop myself from fidgeting. I still wasn’t quite sure what I had actually done. “But if something like this ever happens in the future, you should wait for a faculty member to come help you.”

“Right,” I said. “I’m sorry. I just did it without thinking. I know I should have waited.”

“That’s all right, Dana. Just remember for the future.” She looked around the room at all of us, her dark gaze serious. “Do you think you girls can survive without a Head Witch for awhile? The upper classes are arriving tomorrow and it may be difficult to find someone willing to fill in for Poppy on her first day back to campus.”

Echo nodded for all of us. She’d combed her hair and her hearing seemed to be normal again. “We’ll be okay, Miss Dobronravov!” she said with a reassuring smile.

“Yeah,” Angelica added. “We’ve got Dana to look out for us!”

I saw September scowl and fought the heat rising in my cheeks.

The dean frowned, but nodded. “Okay, girls. Well, Bethenny is the Head Witch in Charge of Hare House next door to you, so you can always go to her if you have a problem here. Please leave Poppy’s room alone for now. Someone will stop by in the morning to clean it up.”

We watched her leave in silence. But the sound of the front door closing seemed to spark Echo into life again. She jumped up from the kitchen table and started throwing cabinet doors open.

“Hey, Echo, whatcha doing?” Angelica said.

Echo pulled out a hand mixer and a huge bowl. “We need cupcakes!” she announced. “Who wants to help me?”

“Ooh, I will,” Nicola said, getting up as well. “Can we make chocolate ones with strawberry frosting? Those are my favorite.”

“Sure!” Echo was now pulling ingredients out of the pantry willy-nilly. The sack of flour tipped over and spilled across the counter.

“Hey, look out now!” Angelica said. She leapt up to save the flour and no doubt instruct the other two. She had proved her cooking prowess to us already, after all.

September and I were now the only two left at the table. I had zero talent for baking, but couldn’t seem to think of a really good reason to leave the kitchen. For September’s part, she was still glowering at me and seemed little inclined to stop.

I sighed and held my hands out in a gesture of surrender. “Look, whatever I did to you, I’m sorry,” I said in what I hoped was a conciliatory tone. “Isn’t there some way we can move past this and be friends?”

If anything, her scowl deepened. “You really don’t get it, do you?” she said in a low voice.

The other girls were now arguing over how many eggs to use in their batter. I glanced at them before turning back to September.

“No, I really don’t,” I said, letting my genuine confusion show for once. “Will you please explain it? I’d like for us all to get along.”

She huffed, but actually unfolded her arms and gave me a studied look. I tried not to fidget but whatever she saw in my face didn’t seem to satisfy her. A little smirk twisted her red lips.

“I see. You’re so used to getting your own way by now that you just expect everyone to fall in line and worship the ground you walk upon. Well, count me out. I know just as much as you do about witchcraft so you can keep your stupid anecdotes to yourself.” She cast a disparaging glance at the other girls. “And I don’t want mindless sheep as friends either. I’ll make mine elsewhere, thanks.”

She stood up to leave.

“Hey wait!” I said. September gave me a cool look, but she waited. “Say anything you want about me. Gods know it isn’t true, but it’s not like I expect you to listen to reason now if you haven’t all week. Just don’t take out whatever this is on them, okay?” I folded my arms tight against my stomach and glared at her. “It’s not fair for you to judge them just because you have some ridiculous problem with me. They’re all really good people, and the first friends I’ve ever had who accepted me, no questions asked. They’d probably accept you too if you’d just come down off your damn high horse.”

“Woo hoo! You tell her, Dana!”

I whirled around to find Angelica fist pumping with a chocolate-spattered spatula. Echo looked like she had tears in her eyes, and Nicola was doing her best to hide behind Echo, although I could still see her smiling.   

September just stared at us. After a moment, her eye twitched. And then she stalked out of the room and stomped up the stairs before slamming the door to her room shut. A resounding crash told us that the precariously dangling chandelier in the stairwell had finally let go.

“I guess I should go clean that up,” I mumbled.

“No, I’ll do it,” Nicola said at once. “I’m just gonna ruin these cupcakes if I try to help anymore anyway.” She shot me a grin and disappeared up the stairs.

Echo threw herself at me in a wild hug that I was completely unprepared for. I patted her awkwardly on the back while she cried into my sweater. I looked up at Angelica for help but she was lounging against the kitchen counter wearing a smug look.

“Why are you crying?” I said, trying to pry the petite blonde off of me. She finally let go, and looked up at me. For a moment, I hated that she looked pretty even when she was crying, but then she spoke and it was rendered impossible to hate her for even a second.

“I’m crying because I can’t decide what to feel,” she sniffled. “I’m so happy that we’re friends, but I’m so sad that September isn’t. I’ve never lived with girls before. This is so confusing…!” She buried her face in her hands.

“Well…” I glanced at Angelica again, but she shrugged and started pouring the cupcake batter into a muffin pan. “Well, yeah. It is confusing.” I sat down and uttered a little laugh. “It’s really confusing. You guys are the first friends I’ve ever had. And I don’t get why you like me or why September hates me so much.”

My thoughts all seemed to collide and implode at once. Suddenly all I could think about was how hungry I was. “Man, that chocolate smells good. When do you think those cupcakes will be ready?”

Echo peeked at me from between her fingers. “Huh?”

“Cupcakes. Gods. I’m starving!” I said. My stomach felt like an empty pit a hundred miles deep.

Echo lowered her hands and peered intently at me. I blinked at her, and she blinked back.

The next thing I knew, we were both giggling like maniacs.

Angelica rolled her eyes at us. “Don’t know why I’m friends with any of you,” she said. “You’re all crazy.” She slid the muffin tin into the oven and glanced at the clock on the wall. “Twenty minutes until cupcakes if you really need to know.”

Echo threw herself in a flying hug at Angelica this time, and I wiped tears from my eyes.


-----

No comments:

Post a Comment